3677 Kensington Ave
Burnaby, BC V5B 3B8
STRONG LINES: THE GENTLE GOTHICS
In this class we’ll look beyond the well-known, well-loved, dense and forceful blackletter, to learn a more gentle, sensitive version of gothic letterforms. This class focusses on using the Pilot Parallel pen, and we’ll start with the most basic penstrokes, then move on to more advanced pen strokes, and finally on to letterforms, and basic spacing. Videos, guidelines and practice sheets from my online classes will be used to facilitate learning. This class is appropriate for all levels of students, beginner to advanced, and the teacher will work with all students at whatever level they are on. We’ll look at the importance of simplicity – which balances the ornate nature of these beautiful letterforms.
Supply Fee: $8.00
• one Pilot parallel pen – 3.8mm size (green lid). These are available through John Neal Booksellers (online),and probably in your local art supply store. Please bring all the items in the package (including rubber converter and little black nib cleaner).
• your usual basic toolbox: pencils, rulers, eraser, etc.
• small water container
• paper towels or cloths for cleaning
• a second Parallel pen (ideal for colour mixing, but I will have extra pens as well)
• bottles of coloured ink (water based or acrylic) and/or watercolours
• your favorite practice paper
• extra cartridges of the blue-black Pilot Mixable Colour inks