- Click on the links to view class particulars
- (PDF files must be viewed with latest version of Adobe Reader)
- Registration Forms may be obtained from the Seminar Coordinator.
- Please put the name of the class in the subject line.
- All class fees must be submitted in Canadian Dollars.
Class Refund Policy
Once a payment has been made and a confirmation has been issued, a class place will be reserved for the registrant. If a cancellation must be made the participant must first seek a replacement from the wait list (contact the class coordinator). The wait list will be established in chronological order. If there is no wait list the participant must find a replacement or forfeit the workshop fee. Emergency cancellations will be handled at the discretion of the Coordinator.
Questions about the workshops? Contact the Seminar Coordinator.
EXPRESSIVE FLAT BRUSH
A class that will aim to learn the fantastic world of Massimo’s favorite tool – the flat brush – as a tool to express yourself.
Through practical exercises and compositions we will examine the quality of rhythmical igns and several historical calligraphic styles of writing, adapting this tool with great lexibility and exploring the expressive possibilities. Learning to use the flat brush means having the ability to write on any surface – walls, textile, wood, glass….
- one flat brush Winsor & Newton Series 995 size #3/4
- Extra assorted flat brushes (around 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches bigger or smaller)
- a small ceramic tile *(around 4 inches by 4 inches) for gouche, or similar
- extra0fine gouache in black and white and colours of your choice – sugested TALENS or WINSOR & NEWTON.
Beautiful Alphabets with Massimo Polello
More information coming soon.
STRONG LINES: THE GENTLE GOTHICS
In this class we’ll look beyond the well-known, well-loved, dense and forceful blackletter, to learn a more gentle, sensitive version of gothic letterforms. This class focusses on using the Pilot Parallel pen, and we’ll start with the most basic penstrokes, then move on to more advanced pen strokes, and finally on to letterforms, and basic spacing. Videos, guidelines and practice sheets from my online classes will be used to facilitate learning. This class is appropriate for all levels of students, beginner to advanced, and the teacher will work with all students at whatever level they are on. We’ll look at the importance of simplicity – which balances the ornate nature of these beautiful letterforms.
Supply Fee: $8.00
• one Pilot parallel pen – 3.8mm size (green lid). These are available through John Neal Booksellers (online),and probably in your local art supply store. Please bring all the items in the package (including rubber converter and little black nib cleaner).
• your usual basic toolbox: pencils, rulers, eraser, etc.
• small water container
• paper towels or cloths for cleaning
• a second Parallel pen (ideal for colour mixing, but I will have extra pens as well)
• bottles of coloured ink (water based or acrylic) and/or watercolours
• your favorite practice paper
• extra cartridges of the blue-black Pilot Mixable Colour inks
In this one-day workshop we will begin by taking a close look at Roman Inscriptional Capitals. We will study their elegant proportions and fine form from historical examples. It will be obvious to the observer why they are still in use today lasting two millennia. Participants will practice a less challenging version of Roman Capitals. From this practice it will become evident that geometric shapes on which Roman Capitals are based, are difficult for the human hand. This is not an excuse not to try and master them, but rather to explore a more hand-friendly way to make capitals. There will be time to have fun composing a piece using these modifications
•William Mitchell Roundhand nibs – sizes 2 and 3 or equivalent (Speedball C3 & C4)
•Non-waterproof black ink
•Metal ruler at least 18”
•Slant board (optional)
•11” x 14” or 11” x 17” white practice paper
•8.5” x 11” good quality white or off-white paper
(HP watercolour or Canson Mi-Tientes are good choices)
•Old tooth brush for cleaning nibs
You are welcome to bring any other tools or materials you wish to use.