- Click on the links to view class particulars
- (PDF files must be viewed with latest version of Adobe Reader)
- Registration Forms may be obtained from the Correponding Secretary.
- Please put the name of the class in the subject line.
- All class fees must be submitted in Canadian Dollars.
Class Refund Policy
Once a payment has been made and a confirmation has been issued, a class place will be reserved for the registrant. If a cancellation must be made the participant must first seek a replacement from the wait list (contact the class coordinator). The wait list will be established in chronological order. If there is no wait list the participant must find a replacement or forfeit the workshop fee. Emergency cancellations will be handled at the discretion of the Coordinator.
Questions about the workshops? Contact the Corresponding Secretary.
Ben Shahn Lettering
with Violet Smythe
Ben Shahn (1898-1968) holds a special place amongst American lettering artists of the twentieth century. He was a painter, printmaker and photographer, as well as a creative inventor of letterforms. We will take his modern ‘versal’ and hand drawn letters as inspiration for our own forms. Violet will teach us this hand using colourful inks, as well as metallic and white inks on dark paper. Let the possibilities unfold!
Supply fee TBA.
SUPPLY LIST (please bring):
• Folded pen(s), inks – your fav colour(s), liquid water colour(optional)
• Twinkling H2Os, Yasutomo paints or finetec or similar
• White gouache or Dr Martin Pen white or bleed proof white
• Paper – Genoa bond or strathmore 400 series sketchbook or text wove or something you like to work on that takes ink really well
• Dark paper or cardstock
• 2 water containers
• Paper towels
• Palette with 5 or six wells
• Brush for loading
Download the registration form Ben Shahn Class