with Rose Wong
Join Rose as she leads us through the process to make a woven joint
exhibition piece on our Black and White Theme.
Be prepared to write out an alphabet in your favourite hand using shades of
black and white and grey mediums.
Supplies to Bring:
Your favourite writing tools and ink or medium of your choice that fits
the colour gradations listed above. You may be working on black, white
or grey paper.
An exemplar if needed for your alphabet.
Paper strips to work on will be provided.
Ben Shahn Lettering
with Violet Smythe
Ben Shahn (1898-1968) holds a special place amongst American lettering artists of the twentieth century. He was a painter, printmaker and photographer, as well as a creative inventor of letterforms. We will take his modern ‘versal’ and hand drawn letters as inspiration for our own forms. Violet will teach us this hand using colourful inks, as well as metallic and white inks on dark paper. Let the possibilities unfold!
Supply fee TBA.
SUPPLY LIST (please bring):
• Folded pen(s), inks – your fav colour(s), liquid water colour(optional)
• Twinkling H2Os, Yasutomo paints or finetec or similar
• White gouache or Dr Martin Pen white or bleed proof white
• Paper – Genoa bond or strathmore 400 series sketchbook or text wove or something you like to work on that takes ink really well
• Dark paper or cardstock
• 2 water containers
• Paper towels
• Palette with 5 or six wells
• Brush for loading
Download the registration form Ben Shahn Class